False alarms: hackers take over Dallas’s 156 sirens before system deactivated

Posted on: April 10, 2017 by in Backyard Pool
No Comments

Unknown hackers activated about 15 alarm cycles prior to city authorities removed emergency situation alert system utilized throughout harsh weather condition occasions

Hackers took control over the 156 sirens in Dallas this weekend, activating incorrect alarms on the system utilized to signal citizens to nestle from harsh weather condition, till authorities shut off the system early Saturday early morning.

The individual or individuals accountable had the ability to hack into a part of the system that was interacting with all 156 of the citys sirens, stated Rocky Vaz, who heads the citys workplace of emergency situation management, at a press conference.

Technicians were attempting to identify ways to bring the system back online without the threat of it being hacked once again, he stated. In the meantime, the general public has access to other alert systems. Vaz stated he wanted to have the siren system back up by Sunday.

The sirens started sounding at 11.42 pm Friday. Authorities shut off the whole system by 1.17 am Saturday. Vaz stated the sirens went through about 15 cycles of a 90-second siren activation.

We shut it down as rapidly as we could, taking into account all the procedures and preventative measures we needed to require to ensure that we were not jeopardizing our 156-siren system, he stated.

City spokesperson Sana Syed stated authorities think the hack originated from the Dallas location. Vaz stated city authorities have actually asked the Federal Communications Commission for aid in identifying who lagged the hack. He stated cops were not included.

We cant talk a great deal about the hack itself, since undoubtedly we do not desire this to occur once again, Syed stated. We can not talk about the information of how this was done, however we do think that the hack originated from the Dallas location.

Syed stated that there was a rise in calls to 911 throughout the time the sirens were sounding. She stated that they had about 4,400 calls from about 11.30 pm Friday to about 3am Saturday. She stated that typically from 11pm to 7am they get about half that variety of calls. The biggest rise originated from midnight to 12.15 am, when about 800 calls were gotten. The longest wait time was 6 minutes.

Mayor Mike Rawlings composed in a Facebook post that the hack was an attack on our emergency situation alert system which the city had to update its systems. We will work to recognize and prosecute those accountable, he composed.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/09/dallas-hackers-sirens-alarms-emergency-system

Comments are closed.